_Canvass_ > "examine, pore over, search"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 18 12:15:43 UTC 2014

It hasn't been hurt by the fact that for at least several centuries, no
connection between the noun "canvass" and *any* of the meanings in question
has been obvious.

So the Rohrschach principle of semantic change kicks in: "I don't know what
the hell it means exactly, so why not this?!"

JL