"sling arms" (not in OED2) -- why not before 1824?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 18 18:07:37 UTC 2014

Recall, however, that OED does have "Granadeers have a care. Sling your
musketts." from 1688. It wasn't published till 1905, which may explain its
absence from EEBO.

N&Q (Ser. 2) IX (Feb. 4, 1860) 77 has "1. Handle your Slings. 2. Sling your
Firelocks." as drill commands for grenadiers in 1702. Musketeers are
ordered instead to "Shoulder [firelocks]."

Grenadiers carried sling muskets because they needed both hands to prepare
their grenades.

But I think the upshot of all this is that Bellona's "Arms" in the poem are
unspecified "weapons," not her flesh-and-blood arms, and she's slung them,
at her side or over her shoulder,  because the battle is over.

JL