"sling arms" (not in OED2) -- why not before 1824?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 21 16:43:03 UTC 2014

Wikipedia places the origin of grenadiers in the English army in 1677-1678,
only ten years before the OED cite.

"Sling arms!" may be almost vanishingly rare before the 19th century
because early use was restricted to grenadiers. Fiction and non-fiction of
the period rarely - if ever - contained the sort of granular detail that we
now associate with realism (in this case, one precise order - among a
series - that might be heard either at drill or in battle).

Presumably only grenadiers and their officers were familiar the phrase, or
had any reason to employ it.

JL