Benjamin Disraeli's exemplary use of negation in the Parliament

Mon Apr 21 17:52:56 UTC 2014

Back in November 2011 I posted about an entertaining Benjamin Disraeli
anecdote set in the House of Commons. The evidence was weak because
the earliest occurrence was a match with an unconfirmed GB date of
1958.

I obtained the 1958 book and verified the cite but was unable to push
back the date of the Disraeli version of the joke. Eventually I found
a variant set in Sweden in 1927, Here is a link to the QI entry
followed by information about the 1927 cite.

Earlier evidence would be welcome. Thanks.

Half of the Town Councilors Are Not Fools
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/04/19/half-fools/

[Begin excerpt]
The first instance of the jape found by QI was printed in a newspaper
story in July 1927 set in an unnamed town near Uppsala, Sweden. A
government official reportedly lost his temper and rebuked his
fellows. Boldface has been added [1]:

[Begin nested excerpt]
A municipal councilor … remarked that certainly half of his colleagues
were fools. An apology was demanded. He promised to make reparation
and caused bills with the following correction to be posted on
boardings in the town: “I said that half of the town councilors are
fools. I now declare that half of the town councilors are not fools.”
[End nested excerpt]

Over the years the jest has evolved and has been aimed at a variety of
people, including town councilors, aldermen, cabinet members, and
members of the House of Commons.

[1] 1927 July 20, Altoona Mirror, The Better Half, Quote Page 12,
Column 1, Altoona, Pennsylvania. (NewspaperArchive)
[End excerpt]

Garson