Speaking of Shakespeare...RE: When does the OED3 think "Hamlet" was written?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Apr 25 12:03:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 04:10:40AM -0700, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2014, at 3:52 AM, Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU> wrote:
>
> > ...has anyone here canvassed
> > http://shakespearesbeehive.com/
> > on the claim that Shakespeare might could maybe have annotated a dictionary, Baret, Alearie (1580)?
>
> See Adam'Gopnik's piece
> The Poet’s Hand: Why do we still search for relics of the Bard?
> in the latest New Yorker (April 28th issue):
>   http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/04/28/140428fa_fact_gopnik

See also this politely hesitant response from the Folger Library:

http://collation.folger.edu/2014/04/buzz-or-honey-shakespeares-beehive-raises-questions/

As well as various tweets from Grace Ioppolo (@ProfShakespeare), e.g.
"In short, the booksellers' "#Shakespeare" dictionary has no tie
whatsoever to Shakespeare based on the handwriting of the annotations."
(https://twitter.com/ProfShakespeare/status/458292171301720064) and
links to discussions of early 17th C. handwriting.

Jesse Sheidlower