Fun and games among the Quakers: "Rogerene", 1768; interdates OED (2010) 1754--1784

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Apr 27 17:28:00 UTC 2014

You must have read of the vast variety of religions and different
persuasions in practice in this country. I heard the other day of a
new sect, who call themselves Rogerines, [sic] from their principal,
whose name is Roger. They run about stark naked, men and women, and
profess to live in the state of primitive innocence. In this country
they go into churches and other religious meetings, where they dance
about in an extraordinary manner, Billy to Betty, and cry out
constantly, "Who can do as we do, and yet be pure and undefiled?"
This is a fact; but pray do not read it to any women.

1768 Alexander Mackraby, Letter to Sir Philip Francis, 20 January,
Bristol [Pennsylvania].  In Pennsylvania Magazine of History and
Biography 11 (1887), 278.  GBooks.

The article is titled "Philadelphia Society [sic!] before the
Revolution".  Bristol, Penn., is just across the Delaware River from
New Jersey, about 22 miles from Philadelphia.  Mackraby wrote "I am
at an inn, where I put up on my return from a visit to Mr. Franklyn,
governor of the province of Jersey, to whom I was introduced yesterday".

"Rogerene" interdates OED3  1754--1784.