"bode" (past tense of "bide") lives!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 29 14:13:17 UTC 2014

>From yesterday's NYT:

Osmo Vanska is suddenly a man in a hurry. Mr. Vanska, the Finnish conductor, bode his time as music director of the Minnesota Orchestra through the first year of management’s lockout of the players (which eventually ran to 16 months, ending in February) during a contract dispute, but resigned out of frustration in October.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/arts/music/a-conductor-rehired-now-must-rebuild.html

I can't remember the last time I came across a "bode" in this context, and the other Times occurrences I can find all involve present tense of "bode" (usually followed by "well" or "ill"), or references to skiier Bode Miller, rather than the past of "bide".  Google shows overwhelming preference for "bided" over "bode" with first and third person subjects, but there are some "bode" diehards out there.

LH