get the snafu

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 30 23:02:14 UTC 2014

"To get the snafu" is evidently an idiom meaning "to be killed or put out
of action."

That's what makes it notable. (Unlike the alleged 1918 occurrence of
"snafu" at GB.)

My experience and my Spidey sense tell me it was not in common use.

BTW, the _Guardian_ and other nostalgic journalistic sources are touting a
recent book on WW1 lingo called "Trench Talk," written by a military
historian and someone at the British Library.

It claims, e.g., that "doughboy" originated in the "Spanish-American War"
and that Americans commonly said "to bum things up."  (I charitably suggest
that "bum up" is a bad-scan error for "ball up.")

JL