"by the each" again

Jeff Prucher 000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Aug 1 18:03:53 UTC 2014

There are tens of thousands of items on Amazon listed as being "by the each": https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:amazon.com+%22by+the+each%22. (You can do the same with amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk, with similar quantities of results.)

GBooks is a bit hard to sort out, but searching for "sold by the each" finds a number of hits of interest, mostly dealing with wholesaling or retailing, and covering the whole of the 20th century: https://www.google.com/search?q="sold+by+the+each"&tbm=bks. Note how many of these include some or all of the phrase in scare quotes.

So I think we can put the "computer error" hypothesis to bed, as well as my regionalism hypothesis. My best guess now is that this is wholesaler/retailer jargon (hence the scare quotes, perhaps), which is fairly widespread across industries. Dictionaries (DARE excepted) have likely missed or omitted this either because it is seen as jargon or because it appears outside the sources used by the dictionaries (e.g. trade publications and in-store labels and shelf-talkers).

Jeff Prucher