Domesticated slang

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Aug 8 15:03:03 UTC 2014

Although there are a few such words - "jazz"comes immediately to mind – the percentage must be well under 1%. And even "jazz" is necessarily an outlier, because its passage from sign to standard English was accompanied by a change in meaning. Jazz words usually have standard English counterparts, and it must be unusual for the standard English term to be displaced by the slang term.

John Baker