catnip for the ladies

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 13 18:18:05 UTC 2014

Adumbrated here, re Rudolph Valentino (d. 1926):

1927 H. L. Mencken _Prejudices: Sixth Series_  (N.Y.: Knopf) 311 : Here was
a young man who was leading daily the dream of millions of other young men.
Here was one who was catnip to women.

It may have appeared slightly earlier in Mencken & Nathan's _American
Mercury_.

JL