Book on Vietnam War Slang

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Aug 14 10:54:48 UTC 2014

Correction: Blue World is a collection of short stories, most of them
fantasy and horror. Perhaps the one in which "howdy doody" appears is a more
realistic one about Vietnam. I don't know.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Dave Wilton
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:40 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Book on Vietnam War Slang

I'm a former US Army chemical officer and I concur. The effects sound like a
nerve agent, and being "drenched" with that would invariably be lethal.
Plus, no nerve agents were used in Vietnam. Riot control agents and
defoliants like Agent Orange, but not nerve agents.

Of course, it could be some other kind of chemical other than a weapon. But
I would point out that McCammon's "Blue World is a fantasy novel. I suspect
the term was simply invented by McCammon, but I don't the wider context in
which the quote is used in the novel.