More from CNN

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 17 13:01:07 UTC 2014

It seems to compress into one short-circuited pseudo-sociological mass more
specific ideas like "thought of as different" or "discriminated against" or
"victimized by authority" or worse.

Are Aleuts, for example, "othered" by non-Aleuts?  Beats me, but if so it
can't be good. Nor would it be easy to debate such an assertion. Any ethnic
designation, including self-designation, presupposes some degree of
"otherness" from, you know, the "other."

1991 in Google Books (not checked): "Lesbian and gay readers...most likely
have always felt the sting of invisibility and the persistent experience of
being othered in everything from MacDonald's' ads to Jacques Lacan."

 JL