YouTube caption

Mon Aug 18 15:33:21 UTC 2014

JL: "Even "duckling" is on the way out, "baby duck" being preferred."

LH: "except on menus, oddly"

I dare say restaurateurs expect consumer resistance to eating "baby"
animals -- hence "veal" instead of "baby cow".

GAT

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 8:22 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
> > In my middlebrow experience, most names for young birds 'n beasts other
> > than pup, puppy, kitten, and cub, are now mostly literary. (Some of the,
> > like "cygnet," may have always been.)
> >
> > Even "duckling" is on the way out, "baby duck" being preferred.
> >
> > JL
>
> except on menus, oddly
>
> LH
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 2:28 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> -----------------------
> >> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> >> Subject:      Re: YouTube caption

> >> The "baby horse" is really young. But ut appears to be nale and mature
> for
> >> kits apparent ahem given tha it attempts to mount a mare. But my
> question
> >> is rendered nugatory by definitions like the following, from an on-line
> >> dictionary:
> >>
> >> "An example of a colt is a _baby horse_."
> >>
> >> Ey wa-la.
> >>
> >> Youneverknow.

> >> --
> >> -Wilson
> >> -----
> >> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> >> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> >> -Mark Twain

> > --
> truth."

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..