slight antedating: "million-dollar wound" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 18 16:03:17 UTC 2014

Amazing and incredible (in the current sense), Bill.  Hunter says he based
his book largely on notes made during the Civil War. Copyright date of the
copy I see is 1904.

He is allegedly the coiner of the phrase "Billy Yank" (which as a
"literary" term isn't in HDAS).

More significantly: no attestations between 1904 and late in WW2 (much less
before 1904).

Cf. the Civil War ex. of "brass" (commissioned officers) in HDAS.

Independent inspiration or real continuity of usage?  I suspect the former.

JL