google news archive (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Aug 21 17:31:48 UTC 2014

Bill: For unknown reasons Google destroyed the search capability with
date-restrictions for the Google Newspaper Archive (GNA) some months
ago. In my experiences GNA searches with date-restrictions had always
been defective, because of "false negatives". Yet, these searches were
still useful.

It is still possible to search the Google Newspaper Archive by adding
a site-restriction to a standard Google search. Here is a comment from
the Google News Archive Search help

https://support.google.com/news/answer/1638638?hl=en&rd=1

[Begin excerpt]
To locate an article from a scanned newspaper, go to www.google.com
and type in site:google.com/newspapers, followed by the search terms
you’d like to use. For example, if you’re searching for a scanned
article on the Berlin wall, you would type in:

site:google.com/newspapers "the Berlin wall"

[End excerpt]