"can of corn"

Fri Aug 22 03:22:18 UTC 2014

 Jonathan Lighter  wrote:
> See HDAS I, p. 358.
>
> I have heard it only in reference to baseball.
>
> Used by whom in 1896?

HDAS has a 1937 citation. "The Dickson Baseball Dictionary (Third
Edition)" lists a 1930 first use citation for "can of corn" in the Los
Angeles Times. Here is the metadata and an extended excerpt from
ProQuest. This instance does not really correspond to an easily caught
high fly ball:

Newspaper: Los Angeles Times
Newspaper location: Los Angeles, California