"can of corn"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 22 12:58:51 UTC 2014

Yes, 1932 is well within the bounds of ordinary usage.

Sometimes the height of the pop-up and sometimes the ease of the catch
appear to be emphasized, but it amounts to the same thing.

If the height of the ball and its vertical descent are salient, the
grocery-store etymology may well be correct, if somewhat arcane.

I heard a classmate use the more general sense ("easy task") once, about
1974. That wasn't enough to get it into HDAS. Moreover, he was clearly
using it metaphorically:

Me: "This should be easy."

He: "Can of corn?"

Me: "Huh?"

He: "You know. When a fielder catches a pop-up, it's a 'can of corn.'"

Me: "Oh."

So language grows. He's a particle physicist now.

JL