"Bikeway Joint moves forward"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 23 21:54:25 UTC 2014

In the Arlington (Mass.) Advocate this week, under the subject
heading "Transportation", the article headline is "Bikeway Joint
moves forward".  Puzzling.  Bikers have joints, which are crucial to
them, but do bikeways?  Is it to be a low-class "bike up bar"?

It becomes clearer in the first paragraph of the story:

"Plans to make a smoother connection of the Minuteman Bikeway through
Arlington Center moved forward Monday, as selectmen voted in favor of
securing easements on pieces of land."

The Bikeway's crossing of both Massachusetts Ave and Mystic St.. in
Arlington Center is nervous for car-drivers and awkward, confusing,
and a bit dangerous for bikers.  There will be "new bike-oriented
traffic signals" (I think these will be operable by bikers, as
pedestrian signals are) and signs to direct both cars and bikes.

The article itself doesn't use the word "Joint" anywhere.  But when
the project is completed I fully expect to hear Arlington  bikers
making appointments to "Meet you at the Joint".  (There's a Starbucks
less than a tenth of a mile away.)

Joel