Precise Citation for Major Antedating of Euphemistic Sense of "Make Love"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 24 01:11:31 UTC 2014

I think the closest French counterpart to the OED is Tresor de la langue francaise [diacritics omitted].  My university has online access to this as part of the ARTFL database.  I don't know whether Larry's university has the same kind of resources that mine has.  In any case, I looked at TLF and it doesn't seem to have an entry for "faire l'amour."

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Laurence Horn [laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:30 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Precise Citation for Major Antedating of Euphemistic Sense of "Make Love"

Does anyone know the history of "faire l'amour"? I was speculating earlier that it may have undergone the same shift earlier than, and hence been a catalyst for, "make love".  What I'd need is the French counterpart of the OED, but if anything like that is accessible online I don't know where or how.

LH