Historical dictionary of French?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 24 03:23:53 UTC 2014

I see in the 1930s the Academicians were still defining "faire l'amour" in a dignified and refined light:

Se livrer à la galanterie. Il passe sa vie à faire l'amour. Il fait l'amour à toutes les femmes.

Wonder when the gallantry became optional (and the activity alluded to in the cites reinterpreted accordingly; cf. e.g. Wilt Chamberlain)

LH