Query (3rd and final try): Origin of "give/have the willies"

Sun Aug 24 03:41:12 UTC 2014

The Inspector, Literary Magazine and Review, Volume 2, London: 1827, has a story called "The Willi-Dance. / An Hungarian Legend." and says (http://bit.ly/1ps7xFC):

-----
More than all, loved Emelka to hear the legend of the Willi-dance, which the crone always thus began—" Every maiden "who dies, when she is betrothed, is called a Willi. The Willies wander "restless on the earth, and hold their nightly dances wherever roads "meet; if any man then meets them, they dance with him till he dies; "he is then the bridegroom of the youngest Willi, who thereby at last "is enabled to rest; such a one is my sister. Ah! often have I seen "her in the moon-beam,"—and then followed the tale of the lover, the sorrows and the death of the poor young maiden. In stories like this, of the region of spirits, the luckless Emelka sought to forget the bitterness of earthly suffering.
-----

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural_beings_in_Slavic_folklore.

I have no proof that this is the origin, but it certainly seems like a good starting point.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home