Query (3rd and final try): Origin of "give/have the willies"

Tue Aug 26 18:56:50 UTC 2014

Garson O'Toole has provided some nice citations showing early uses of "the willies."

Looking a bit more, I have found other citations in the nineteenth century that talk about the Willies as supernatural beings. In addition to these, a few more nineteenth-century citations can be found for "the villies" on Google Books (http://bit.ly/1zzMK4b).

In 1841, the opera "Giselle, or The Wilis" (or "La Giselle") was first performed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giselle) in Paris. Wikipedia says the idea of the wilis in the opera comes from "Elementargeister" (1837) by Heinrich Heine and "Les Orientales" (1828 or 1829) by Victor Hugo. Wikipedia says the opera was "hugely popular," staged across Europe, Russia and the US.

"La Giselle" appears in "Beauties of the Opera and Ballet" (not dated), and the word "Wilis" appears on five pages (http://bit.ly/1vjqMoi).

In 1846, "The Knickerbocker: Or, New-York Monthly Magazine," vol. 27 has a review of "Giselle" with mention of the Willies (http://bit.ly/YWuCWT), and "The Pioneer: Or, California Monthly Magazine" does the same in 1854 (http://bit.ly/VPIvnC).

In 1848, "The Gentleman's Magazine" mentions the Wilis as being "the most peculiar images of Servian [i.e., Serbian] fantasy" (http://bit.ly/1rxZrht).

In 1862, "The Queen of the Danube: A Story of Montenegro" by X.B. Saintine, translated from French by Anne T. Wood, mentions the Willies as being Servian (http://bit.ly/1qqlN1w).

The wilis tale is told in "A Norseman's Pilgrimage" (1875) by Hjalmar Hjorth Boyesen with the spelling "Willies" (http://bit.ly/1qqh3sN).

In 1879, the Extravaganzas of J.R. Planché, esq., mentions the Wilis (http://bit.ly/YWvElU).

FWIW, there is also "a general meeting of the Willies o' the Wisp" in "London Society," vol. 11 (1867) (http://bit.ly/1q2i76n), and in 1883, there is mention of birds called "willies" in "The Sunday Magazine" (http://bit.ly/1wxXC6j).

Still no direct tie to the expression "the willies," but it seems clear that the willies/villies were well known as supernatural beings throughout at least most of the nineteenth century.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home