Query (3rd and final try): Origin of "give/have the willies"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 26 20:03:23 UTC 2014

Any connection between Gosport Willie and "the willies" is clearly fanciful.

Who on earth would pluralize the proper name of a murderer in a ballad and
then attach it to the DTs?

HDAS files have a 1980 in precisely that sense, which now seems to be
pretty rare.

JL