"Hurdy-Gurdy"

Wed Aug 27 01:44:17 UTC 2014

Folks:

This message got sent very prematurely.  I intended to point out that the
musical instrument did require a turning motion in playing it, and that
"hurdy-gurdy house" at least referred to a place; and that the recreation
grounds at Hoboken did offer a roundabout.  But on the whole, the passage
seems to indicate a peculiar confusion on the part of the writer.  The
roundabout *wasn't* otherwise known as a hurdy-gurdy.

The second item from the notes on Hoboken's roundabout (from 1834) shows
the unfortunate fact that not everyone heeds good advice, such as that
offered by the Daily Advertiser in 1831.

GAT