Query (3rd and final try): Origin of "give/have the willies"

Wed Aug 27 03:00:26 UTC 2014

Based on comments and citations provided by Benjamin, Jerry, WB and JL
I think that the development of a slang association between "the
willies" and "delirium tremens" would be natural; there is a shared
set of denotations and connotations.

Supernatural spirits/creatures: fear, hallucinations, madness
Murderous entities: fear, paranoia
Dancing and coerced dancing: trembling, spasms, uncontrolled motions

Perhaps phrases such as: "I have seen the willies", "the willies have
me", "I am becoming a willie", "save me from the willies" were
shortened to "the willies" or "I have the willies". (You can tell I am
not a linguist, and this is an amateur analysis.)

The citations connecting "the willies" with "the DTs" occurred a few
years before the citations in which "the willies" were connected to
the less extreme state of nervous apprehension. Of course, this might
be an artifact of a limited sample of published instances. But I think
it is plausible that the existence of "the DTs" sense led to the
emergence of "nervous apprehension" sense.

JL wrote: ...the DTs... HDAS files have a 1980 in precisely that
sense, which now seems to be pretty rare.

Here is another citation suggesting that the DTs sense did survive to
modern times:

Year: 1978
Title: Basic Psychiatry for Corrections Workers
Author: Henry L. Hartman
Quote Page 23
Publisher: Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois
(Google Books Snippet View; data may be inaccurate)

[Begin extracted text]
The first of the alcoholic psychoses to have any significance for
corrections workers is Delirium Tremens (291.0). This is that
alcoholic condition popularly known as DTs, the "shakes", the
"horrors", the "willies", the "heebee-jeebies", the "terrors", the
"screaming meemies", etc. There is almost always a long history of
heavy alcoholic consumption before delirium tremens develops.
[End extracted text]

Garson