[Ads-l] snatch 'female pudenda'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 2 19:46:08 UTC 2014

On Dec 2, 2014, at 2:10 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I can't vouch for the specific quote, but the time-frame is not
> unbelievable.
>
> "Snatch" is listed in Farmer & Henley (1890-96) as "American."
>
> JL

Hmmm.  Do you have a different edition?  Mine (the 1970 Arno Press reprint) doesn't have that.  It has "snatch-blatch" ("venery") for 'the female pudendum' (no "American" annotation, though), and under "snatch" itself it has a semi-relevant ("venery") sense, but as a (not specifically American) verb, 'a hasty act of kind, a flyer', i.e. 'quickie'.

Oh I see, cancel that--under "Monosyllable", which is of course the main "female pudendum" entry F&H do indeed include the American "snatch" among the 1001 or so synonyms.

LH