[Ads-l] old-time stress in "hot dog," pronun. of "Haiti."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 11 18:17:13 UTC 2014

Paul Hurst was a minor Hollywood actor, born in California in 1888. He has
small roll as the "World War I Ghost Soldier" in the 1943 semi-documentary
"December 7th."

Hurst mentions people "eating hot DOGS," with the stress clearly on the
second word (meaning, of course, sausages).

My Linguaspidey sense tells me that this was the original stress pattern. I
have not noticed it elsewhere.

Hurst also clearly says  / ha 'i ti/ where today we would say / 'he ti/.

JL