[Ads-l] Is it *still* just me?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 12 01:20:21 UTC 2014

This one works for me without a problem.  The point is that even though Van Hollen's points may seem well-taken to the reader (e.g. to me), they didn't persuade even all that many of the congressional representatives on his side of the aisle (much less, one presumes, any Republicans).  I don't see how a "so" or "hence" would work here--you have Van Hollen's argument *for* rejecting the bill (the smelliness of the toxic assets it would welcome) and the other Dems' argument *against* rejecting it (doing so would lead to a government shutdown).  That's the work "but" is designed to do.

So even if it's not (still) just you, it's not me.

LH