[Ads-l] pronunciation of "onion"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 12 16:16:05 UTC 2014

The stage-Irish dialect of the 19th century song, "The Regular Army O!,"
seems to puns on "inions" and "Indians":

We wint to Arizona for to fight the Injians there,
We were nearly caught bald-headed, but they never got our hair.
We lay among the ditches in the dirty, yellow mud,
And we niver saw an inion - or a turnip or a spud.

The sudden appearance of "inion" is hard to explain otherwise.

JL