[Ads-l] Higgly-piggly

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Dec 14 01:11:15 UTC 2014

Surely we're not forgetting the double dactyl?  Although allegedly it
vastly postdates "higgledy-piggledy," the double dactyl makes the
"higgledy piggledy" form much more prevalent than "higgly-piggly"
(65,700 to 331 in Books, 339,000 to 14,500 in the Web).

Defined as:

Long-short-short, long-short-short
Dactyls in dimeter,
Verse form with choriambs