[Ads-l] "Downsight"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 29 18:34:27 UTC 2014

On Dec 29, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In a somewhat similar vein, for some years (though not forever) I've been
>> hearing
>> / 'hausiz /
>>

> Me, too. Usually by the same people who use "Eli[s]e Dai[s]y Li[s]a," etc.

I think "Lisa" is a different case.  Most of the Lisas I've met pronounce it /'lis@/, while the /'laiz@/s I've met spell it "Liza".  I've never known a "Dai[s]y' and if I heard one I'd probably figure it was a "Dacey".

As for /'hausIz/, I'm pretty sure I have encountered that often enough not to notice it anymore; on the other hand, I've also known people who standardly voice both sibiliants in /'hauzwaivz/ (plural of /'hauswaif/).

LH