[Ads-l] 2015's Word of the Year is "autocorrect"

Baron, Dennis E debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Dec 31 08:28:28 UTC 2014

There’s a new post on the Web of Language:

2015’s word of the year is “autocorrect”

The word of the year for 2015 is autocorrect. It may seem strange declaring the word of the year for a year that is only just starting. We’ve just named 2014’s word of the year, after all, and it is torture<http://illinois.edu/blog/view/25/119470?displayType=month&displayMonth=201412>, because 2014 had plenty of that. But even though we tend to look back at the end of the year to the events that shaped it—the top ten news stories of the year, the films most annoying to North Korea, the best countries that have been invaded, the most significant airbag failures, the grammar rule most honored in the breach—at the end of the year we also start making predictions about the year to come: will politicians continue cozying up to white supremacists or will they be too busy smoking Cuban cigars? Will film makers see that featuring dictators in low brow comedies may put studio mainframes at risk, but it’s great for box office? Will dictators release their own annoying films depicting unpleasant things that might happen to Hollywood directors? Plus, autocorrect represents a highly-refined, first-world kind of torture, and considering what 2014 was like, some correction seems in order.

Read the full post on the Web of Language:  http://bit.ly/1xvsTHR