Still Further Antedating of "Yellow Journalism"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 2 14:19:00 UTC 2014

Am surprised that OED still endorses derivation from "The Yellow Kid."

Years and years ago, I read somewhere that the phrase arose in reference to
some kind of publicity stunt sponsored by the Hearst papers in the '90s. Of
course I made no note of it, but ISTR that it involved something like a
coast-to-coast bike race whose participants wore bright yellow outfits so
they could easily be recognized by the public. The papers then gave daily
updates on the race.

Maybe I read it one of Jerry's valuable Comments on Etymology.  But true or
false, it was long, long ago.

JL