Different Strokes for Different Folks

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 6 09:03:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> May 19, 1945

That makes it almost as old as "nitty-gritty," popular since I was a child,
during WWII. But, until the song, "Different Strokes" enjoyed a modicum of
popularity in '67, I'd never heard "different strokes for different folks."

FWIW, "get nitty-gritty" - minus the "down to the" - had the meaning,
"exceed the bounds of the socially-acceptable," as did the expression, "get
earthy."

Whilechecking HDAS, I came across "auber nitsky." Ultimately from German
"aber nichts," perhaps?

--
-Wilson
-----