hoe-down not in DARE

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 8 04:12:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> It's not regional, but rather used everywhere.

Well, I haven't been everywhere. But, where I have been, "hoe-down" is
familiar. OTOH, I have no idea what, precisely, a hoe-down is. If the point
is that the term has an exact meaning, beyond "a kind of party with music
and dancing," that is known only regionally, well, based only on my own
experience, then I grant the possibility that "hoe-down" is a regional term
that ought to be included in DARE, like "snake-doctor."

--
-Wilson
-----