Quote: Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. (Attrib Abraham Lincoln)

Mon Feb 10 17:05:28 UTC 2014

Barry has updated his entry on this topic with some additional
valuable citations. For example, he has a 1901 cite for the following
thematically related expression:

[Begin excerpt]
Time spent in sharpening the axe may well be spared from swinging it.
[End excerpt]

http://bit.ly/1kslPEe

Thanks for your response, Dan. The citation you gave does provide an
intriguing contrast.

Garson