One-Line Book Review: The covers of this book are too far apart

Mon Feb 10 18:00:06 UTC 2014

Laurence Horn wrote
> I wonder if this template eventually gives rise to the classic
> "first prize/second prize" that must have originated in some
> comic's version of a game show:  first prize, a week in
> Cleveland (or whatever), second prize, two weeks.  Or maybe
> it's just a case of great minds joking alike.

Barry examined the joke referenced by LH. Interestingly, the earliest
known instance of the remark in March 1955 derided the city of Dallas,
Texas.

{Begin excerpt]
"Over in Fort Worth, we had a contest recently. First prize was one
week in Dallas with all expenses paid. Second prize was two weeks in
Dallas."
[End excerpt]

A version criticizing Philadelphia is often assigned to W. C. Fields,
but when I searched a few years ago the earliest ascription to W. C.
Fields I found was in 1976. Here is a link to Barry's entry on the
quip:

"Second Prize: Two weeks in Philadelphia/ Chicago/ Los Angeles/ Texas" (joke)

http://bit.ly/1lq1tJy

Perhaps the existence of the "two Stephen Cranes" and "two clarionets"
type of joke facilitated the "two weeks joke". An "intermediate" joke
can be constructed between barbs aimed at musical instruments and the
barbs aimed at cities. But I did not find any evidence that this
hypothetical jape exists in the wild:

First prize: a one hour concert with the x musical instrument.
Second prize: a two hour concert with the x musical instrument.

Garson