beast

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 11 13:17:28 UTC 2014

Both Urban Dictionary and Online Slang Dictionary recognize "beast" in
various senses amounting to "one who is exceptionally skillful or capable"
going back to the '90s.

The adj seems to go back about a decade.

HDAS provides the well-known nominal sense "a large, powerful vehicle."

Off on a tangent is the sense "girlfriend."

BTW, the tone of the remark on CNN suggested that "a great leader" was an
elaboration, not a definition, of "beast," and that "beast" was meant in a
generally admiring way.

Unlike sports announcers, she didn't say, "He's a BEAST on the field!" Just
that he's a "beast" on the field.

JL