Changes to Google News Archive and search

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 12 18:23:06 UTC 2014

Anyone who's tried using Google News Archive via
https://news.google.com/news/advanced_news_search will notice it
hasn't been working at all lately. (It only returns search results
from current news.) The other method, doing a site search on
<site:google.com/newspapers>, still pulls up articles from the
archive, but the 1970 cutoff for searching on date ranges is still in
effect. However! It looks like they're working on it:

---
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/news/Gl23RwnTIlg
12/16/13
We are performing a much needed facelift on our News Archive search
function as we swap out an old system for an improved one. We are
focusing engineering resources on building this new system, and as a
result, for the next several months users will only be able to access
archived stories through Google Search (google.com), as explained in
our Help Center article.
---

--bgz