Raleigh, N.C. -- awesome or aw-dropping?

Thu Feb 13 18:44:09 UTC 2014

Michael,

You're right about high school being like "ice" rather than "high".  I learned all this from Roger l:ass, who was my supervisor at Edinburgh and is from Brooklyn.  He used to double-check his own intuitions with me before he made a statement sometimes, and he taught me a lot of things about NYC area speech that Kaye mentions.  He's the one who alerted me to the PRICE/PRIZE distinction.

Do you know anything about a backing of PALM and START in NYC during the earlier part of the 20c?  If I hear New Yorkers in old movies, I hear a lot frontier values than now, maybe not as front as Boston, but definitely front-to-central values.  My dad had forms like this, though, if I remember correctly, my mom and her female relatives already had back ones.

Paul
On Feb 13, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Michael Newman <Michael.Newman at QC.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Michael Newman <Michael.Newman at QC.CUNY.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Raleigh, N.C. -- awesome or aw-dropping?
>
> Paul,
>
> That’s exactly right except that it isn’t so much a split as a shift of part of one class to another. Short A is a split because a new phoneme developed.
>
> PALM is longer than LOT, which propels the whole thing.
>

> It is very astute of you to notice the PRICE/PRIZE thing. I didn’t until I read the Kaye article. t didn’t get into the PRICE/PRIZE distinction in the post, although it will appear in the book. Also open syllable are backed with the diphthong, so ‘pry’ patterns with PRIZE class. This position is unavailable in the short-0 words that shifted to PALM, although it exists in some former long A words that gave rise to the class like ‘father' as well as loans like ‘spa' and ‘pajama.'You get an interesting pair with ‘high' being backed, but 'high school' isn’t.
>

> This PRICE/PRIZE difference is related to Canadian Raising, but it doesn’t happen with MOUTH, which is fronted invariably.
>

> Michael Newman
> Professor of Linguistics
> Department of Linguistics and Communication Disorders
> Queens College/CUNY
>
> mnewman at qc.cuny.edu
>
> On Feb 13, 2014, at 12:45 PM, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU> wrote:

>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
>> Subject:      Re: Raleigh, N.C. -- awesome or aw-dropping?
>>
>> Michael,
>> I have the same pattern you do, and know about PALM and LOT being separate.  There is a short-O split as well as a short-A split going on.  It also affects (allophonically), the PRICE vowel depending on the voiceless/voiced status of the following consonant: I'd have [praIs] but [prAIz].
>>
>> What complicates matters is that the PALM vowel (and the V1 of PRICE before voiced consonants and finally) can not only be back, but rounded for some speakers.  But it is still a lot lower than the vowel in THOUGHT (even if monophthongal) or the V1 of CHOICE.  Those New Yorkers who've gone all upstate on us and have the low rounded back vowel in THOUGHT wouldn't have back variants in PALM, I would think, though the PALM vowel might be a little longer than their LOT vowel (perhaps?)
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On Feb 13, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Michael Newman <Michael.Newman at QC.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

>>> PALM= My Sir Walter Raleigh (also the vowel in Walter due I suspect the w as much as the l)