Random Note for WOTY 2014: neknominate, -ion, -ed, -ing

Christopher Philippo toff at MAC.COM
Wed Feb 19 15:26:41 UTC 2014

On Feb 19, 2014, at 10:12 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
> And various other news reports, e.g. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/neknominate.  But none I’ve seen so far provide an etymology.

Several stories report that it’s from “neck nominate” or “neck and nominate” though I haven’t seen any that explain the “neck” part, which I had to look up:

“Neck”: “to drink something very quickly” http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/american/neck_17#neck_22 (“neck” - possibly because one might throw back one’s head to guzzle?)  Neknominate: people drink something quickly, then nominate others to do the same.

Christopher K. Philippo

Albert F. Mando (1846-1912) African-American composer, conductor, and instructor of music
http://gravelyny.blogspot.com/2014/02/albert-f-mando-1846-1912-african.html

Prof. Albert F. Mando and his visits to Washington, D.C.
http://gravelyny.blogspot.com/2014/02/prof-albert-f-mando-and-his-visits-to.html