Early "terrorist"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 5 16:40:36 UTC 2014

Early "terrorists" were, as OED shows, associated directly with the Reign
of Terror of the French Revolution.

But the transference to other violent anarchists would have been
irresistible and practically inevitable.

One might argue, with some cogency, that more recent terrorists of the
Nine-Eleven variety are a bit different in that they try  to influence
political attitudes through terrorization of the populace, rather than
attempt to set up a Jacobin "Reign of Terror."  In that case, OED might
tweak its defs. just a little.

JL