Urban Dictionary

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Jan 8 16:12:30 UTC 2014

At 1/8/2014 09:27 AM, Dave Wilton wrote:
>UD can be a useful tool if used with discretion, however. It is a
>quick-and-dirty tool for checking if an alleged slang term is in actual
>circulation or to see what the possible range of meanings for a term might
>be. And it is often easy to distinguish the joke or made-up senses from
>those that are recorded by thoughtful amateurs (the latter of which can
>actually be useful and sometimes do contain actual usage citations).
>
>Like any dictionary, one needs to know the particulars of its scope and
>methodology before employing it usefully.

Regardless of the above, which I suspect is true infrequently,* the
UD requires a large-print "Hazard" sign rather than uncritical praise
or the positive tone of the NYTimes article.  Is anyone writing a
letter to the Times?

Do any of the "actual usage citations" cite written evidence, or
reputable oral evidence?

Joel