Dive (was Re: Sad hour)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 8 21:25:25 UTC 2014

To me a "dive" is necessarily unsavory. However, the phrase "local dive"
has long been a casual dysphemism for a small but unglamorous local bar -
like "new heap" for that '38 Heinz-Bohman Phantom Corsair I didn't get for
Christmas.

Cf. ancient movie lines like, "Jeez! Dis is one high-class dump!"

JL