-gate [Re: Random Note for 2014 WOTY: #2]

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 10 16:28:11 UTC 2014

News media are communicating to people who often are not paying full
attention. The -gate suffix creates a single word describing a scandal.
When you hear it, or even half hear it, you know what is being talked or
written about. It leads to efficient communication. Aesthetically one may
hate it, but it is hard to argue with its effectiveness.

DanG