Linguistic boundaries [was: A novel notion of "balance"]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 12 20:18:06 UTC 2014

On Jan 12, 2014, at 2:35 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 1/12/2014 01:51 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> --LH (in Pats' country)
>
> I will assume LH was somewhere close to New Haven when he wrote the
> above.

Yup.

> If not, the questions are still answerable but perhaps the
> answers less interesting.)
>
> Where is the Patriots--Giants boundary?

Well, technically it ought to be the Byram River (that's the inlet separating Port Chester, NY from Greenwich, CT, right?  That's the perk of the Pats being the New England Patriots, and not the Boston/Massachusetts/Bay State Patriots.  But of course it doesn't work that way, and like the Yankees-Rod Sox boundary it has varied with the teams' success.  Supposedly, the latter one runs through New Haven, but my sense (I've lived here since 1981) is that this is more part of Red Sox Nation.  For football, more Pats than Giants since 2001, although I suspect more Giants before then (the start of the Belichick/Brady era).  And then there are, of course, the Mets and the Jets.

LH