Quote in the News: Dying is easy. Comedy is hard

Tue Jan 14 21:09:33 UTC 2014

During the broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday the comedian
and actor Jim Carrey spoke a famous quotation together with an odd
attribution.

[Begin excerpt]
Dying is easy. Comedy is hard. I believe it was Shia LaBeouf who said
that. So young, so wise.
[End excerpt]

The QI website has background on this quotation which is ascribed to
Edmund Gwenn speaking on his deathbed. Additional citations from list
members would be welcome.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/10/26/comedy-is-hard/

The self-defeating behaviors of the well-known young actor Shia
LaBeouf that inspired Carrey's remark are described at this link.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/01/13/shia-labeouf-jim-carrey-golden-globes/

The burst of traffic from the very popular Reddit website yesterday
was too much for the QI website which became sporadically
inaccessible, yet again. I became aware of Jim Carrey's remark because
of the incoming traffic. Suggestions for inexpensive website hosting
companies that can handle bursts of traffic would be welcome. Thanks.

Garson