'intentional'

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jan 14 21:24:56 UTC 2014

At 1/14/2014 12:34 PM, Geoffrey Steven Nathan wrote:
>My current favorite is 'intentional', which has begun appearing in
>higher education planning contexts in the past year or so. It seems
>to be quite old in other (religious) contexts, but when our
>associate Provost for retention insists that any planning in that
>area be 'intentional', she seems to mean something like what actors
>mean when they talk about 'being in the moment'.
>
>It's not the opposite of 'accidental', but rather something like
>'with full consciousness of what we're doing'.

"The creation of traffic gridlock on the George Washington Bridge for
four days in September 2013 was intentional."

Report of the Investigative Committee of the Port Authority of New
York and New Jersey on the Closing of Entrance Lanes from Fort Lee,
New Jersey, to the George Washington Bridge from September 9 to
September 13, 2013 (New York and New Jersey: 2014). page [only galley
proofs available to date].

Joel