impactful, below-the-line, etc.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 15 15:33:34 UTC 2014

Speaking of bucks, there was this in yesterday's Gail Collins op-ed column in the Times:

========
Christie expressed confidence that the voters would conclude: “Mistakes were made; the governor had nothing to do with that, but he’s taking responsibility for it.” Here we have an echo of Harry Truman’s announcement that “the buck stops here.” However, Christie took the more modern approach, which is to make it clear that while you’re responsible, you are totally not at fault. The buck that stopped at Christie’s desk was not his buck, just an errant piece of currency that wound up in the office because of treacherous fools over whom he had no actual control whatsoever.
========

I always assumed that the buck that was supposed to stop with Truman (according to the sign he mounted on the Oval Office desk that apparently remained there at least through Carter's administration, from a web-posted photo) is the same buck that gets passed, either in a poker game (to indicate whose responsibility the deal rests with) or metaphorically to whoever is down the line.  This is, according to the lore I'm familiar with, a buck handle from a knife when the game was played out west, and in any case not a "piece of currency" in the form of a dollar bill.  And while Truman certainly popularized "the buck stops here" pledge, did he originate it?

LH